THIRD WAVE PODCAST
Music and Psychedelic Medicine: Healing Through Sound
While a PhD researcher at Imperial College London, Mendel Kaelen investigated the brain mechanisms of classic psychedelic drugs and their effects on music-perception and music-evoked emotion. After a year off spent integrating his ayahuasca experiences in the Amazon, Mendel completed his Master’s Degree before founding Wavepaths, an algorithmic music system that unifies immersive arts, psychotherapies, and intelligent technologies into new models of care. In this episode, Mendel and Paul explore the beauty of randomness, the healing potential of psychedelics, our debt to primal sound, and the power of music to make meaning.
Neuroscientist Mendel Kaelen is the Founder and CEO at Wavepaths, an algorithmic music system that unifies immersive arts, psychotherapies, and intelligent technologies into new models of care. While a PhD researcher at Imperial College London, Mendel investigated the brain mechanisms of classic psychedelic drugs and their effects on music-perception and music-evoked emotion, and now focuses on the role music plays to create effective therapeutic outcomes.
This episode is brought to you by Magic Mind, the world’s first productivity drink. Each shot contains a magical combination of 12 active ingredients designed to stimulate focus, creativity, energy, and motivation while decreasing stress, oxidation, and inflammation in the body. It’s not just a fleeting charge up either—it’s designed for long-term improvement in cognition, stress, and energy. Just use the code ‘ThirdWave’ for a 10% discount.
This episode is brought to you by Apollo Neuro, the first scientifically validated wearable that actively improves your body’s resilience to stress. Apollo engages with your sense of touch to deliver soothing vibrations that signal safety to the brain. Clinically-proven to improve heart rate variability, it can actually enhance the outcomes of your other efforts like deep breathing, yoga, meditation, and plant medicine. Apollo was developed by friend of Third Wave, Dr. David Rabin MD PhD, a neuroscientist and board-certified psychiatrist who has been studying the impact of chronic stress in humans for nearly 15 years. Third Wave listeners get 15% off—just use this link.
- Using music to make meaning, drive healing, and create powerful therapeutic outcomes.
- From marine biology to neuroscience to the Amazon to musical entrepreneur: tracking the path of a unique career.
- Out of body experiences, traveling astral realms, and the final frontier of understanding the human mind.
- The beauty of randomness and the fruits of curiosity.
- Harnessing the creativity of artists, musicians, designers, architects, and engineers.
- Explicit learning, implicit learning, and using psychedelics to create corrective experiences.
- How psychedelics help create the mental flexibility required to assign new meaning to our experiences.
- Tracing the role of music in guiding human evolution: from ancient flutes and pre-verbal language to baby talk.
- Music’s role in society and spiritual traditions.
- Music as an invitation to journey inside of oneself.
- How Wavepaths aims to help therapists provide life-changing experiences.
- Creating the world’s first generative music system.