THIRD WAVE PODCAST
Regulating Psychedelic Medicine, FDA Approval, and Why We Need More Evidence
In this podcast, Paul F. Austin, founder of Third Wave, speaks with Ronan Levy, Co-founder and Executive Chairman of Field Trip Health.
Together, they cover several controversial themes—including the role regulation should play in the psychedelic space, whether FDA approval is required to legitimize psychedelic therapies, the pros and cons of relying on expert evidence, the lifestyle changes suggested for integration, and finding a middle ground between trusting and blaming big pharma.
A pioneer in the medical cannabis industry, Ronan is Co-founder and Executive Chairman of Field Trip Health. Concurrent with this work, he is a partner at Grassfed Ventures, a venture capital and advisory firm focused on the cannabis and biotech industries, and is a member of the Board of Directors for Trait Biosciences Inc., a leading biotech company in the hemp and cannabis industries. Earlier in his career, Ronan co-founded Canadian Cannabis Clinics and CanvasRx Inc., the latter of which was acquired by Aurora Cannabis Inc. (NYSE: ACB) in 2016. A recovering lawyer by training, Ronan started his career as a corporate lawyer (and is sure glad he got out of that business as fast as he could.)
- The commonalities and differences between cannabis and psychedelics.
- Why psychedelics should—or shouldn’t—be controlled and regulated.
- Using ketamine as a catalyst to improve psychotherapy and integration.
- The therapeutic potential of cannabis and psychedelics.
- Gaining FDA approval to legitimize psychedelic therapies.
- Mistakes, biases, and the need for more evidence for both psychedelic use and microdosing.
- Lifestyle changes, sleep, exercise, intermittent fasting, fish oil, and the danger of fads.
- Finding a middle ground between trusting and blaming big pharma.